My name is Chris Brennan, and I am a professional astrologer from Denver, Colorado, USA.
I was educated at Kepler College, where I focused on cross-cultural comparisons between the astrological traditions. I have a special interest in the history, philosophy, and practice of ancient astrology, and I specialize in the Greco-Roman tradition of astrology known as Hellenistic Astrology.
I am the former President of the Association for Young Astrologers, and the former Research Director of the National Council of Geocosmic Research. I also spent some time as an associate editor and columnist for The Mountain Astrologer magazine, and served on the board of Kepler College.
I have written a blog called The Horoscopic Astrology Blog since 2007, and in 2012 I started recording a weekly podcast called The Astrology Podcast. I’m also active in my local community, and in 2008 I founded an astrology group that holds monthly meetings in Colorado called The Denver Astrology Group.
The initial focus of my astrological studies for several years was in the modern western tradition of astrology, although eventually I became deeply engaged in the study of the older Hellenistic, Indian, and Medieval astrological traditions. The basis of my approach at this point is largely rooted in the techniques of Hellenistic astrology, although I also draw on my background in modern astrology regularly, for example by incorporating elements such as the outer planets.
I published my first book in February of 2017, which is titled Hellenistic Astrology: The Study of Fate and Fortune. I also teach online courses on astrology with students from around the world, and I offer certification through my course on Hellenistic astrology.
Books and Articles Published
- Hellenistic Astrology: The Study of Fate and Fortune, Amor Fati Publications, Denver, Colorado, 2017.
- “The Planetary Joys and the Origins of the Significations of the Houses and Triplicities,” in the International Society for Astrological Research Journal, vol. 42, no. 1, April 2013, pp. 27–42.
- “An Introduction to Hellenistic Astrology, Part 2,” in: The Mountain Astrologer, no. 163 (June/July, 2012), pp. 68–80.
- “An Introduction to Hellenistic Astrology, Part 1,” in: The Mountain Astrologer, no. 161 (February/March, 2012), pp. 64–75.
- “The Astrology of Sect: The Difference Between Day and Night Charts,” in: The Mountain Astrologer, no. 154 (December/January, 2010).
- “Hellenistic Astrology,” NCGR Research Journal, vol. 1, no. 1 (summer 2010), pp. 15–24.
- “The Theoretical Rationale Underlying the Seven Hermetic Lots,” in: the Tradition Journal, no. 2 (spring 2009), pp. 16–27.
- “The Katarche of Horary,” NCGR Geocosmic Journal, summer 2007, pp. 23–33.
- A number of more informal articles on the Horoscopic Astrology Blog.
Upcoming Lectures and Workshops
- I will be presenting two lectures and a post-conference workshop at the upcoming United Astrology Conference in Chicago, Illinois, May 24–29, 2018.
- A three-day workshop for Astrology Toronto in Canada, June 1–3, 2018.
Past Lectures and Workshops:
- NCGR conference in Baltimore, Maryland, February 16–19, 2017.
- ISAR conference in Costa Mesa, California, October 13–17, 2016.
- San Francisco & Sacramento NCGR workshops, CA, March 30–April 4, 2016.
- Organization for Professional Astrology retreat, Asilomar, CA, Oct. 22–25, 2015.
- New York City lecture and workshop, New York, NY, June 18 and 20, 2015.
- Northwest Astrological Conference, Seattle, WA, May 21–25, 2015.
- American Federation of Astrologers conference, Tempe, AZ, April 9–11, 2015.
- Breaking Down the Borders 3, November 14–16, 2014.
- ISAR conference in Phoenix, AZ, September 25–28, 2014.
- The Northwest Astrological Conference, Seattle, WA, May 22–26, 2014.
- NCGR national conference, Philadelphia, PA, August 15–19, 2013.
- Astrological Society of North Texas workshop, Fort Worth, Sept. 7–8, 2013.
- New York NCGR conference, New York, June 15, 2013.
- Northwest Astrological Conference in Seattle, WA, May 23–27, 2013.
- Breaking Down the Borders 2, November 30–December 2, 2012.
- United Astrology Conference, New Orleans, LA, May 24–29, 2012.
- Minnesota NCGR Chapter, Minneapolis, February 17 & 18, 2012.
- San Francisco Astrological Society & SF NCGR Group, Nov. 17 & 19, 2011.
- 2012 Predictions and Perspectives panel, Golden, Colorado, October 2, 2011.
- Traditional Astrology in the 21st Century, hosted by the American Federation of Astrologers in Tempe, Arizona, September 22–24, 2011.
- Arizona Society of Astrologers, Phoenix, AZ, June 17 & 18, 2011.
- Washington State Astrological Association, Seattle, January 13 & 15, 2011.
- IAA International Cyber Conference, Nov. 19–21, 2010.
- Regulus Traditional Astrology Conference, Melbourne, Australia, Nov. 13–15, 2010.
- Astrological Society of Kentucky, Louisville, KY, September 24–25, 2010.
- Forum On Astrology’s Internet Astrology Conference, October 2, 2010.
- Rocky Mountain Astrologers, Boulder, Colorado, May 20, 2010.
- NCGR Conference in Cambridge, MA, February 25–29, 2010. Organized pre-conference research symposium titled Moving Forward, Looking Back: Future Directions in Post-Modern Astrology.
- Cosmic Astrology Association, Westmont, New Jersey, October 16–17, 2009.
- Northwest Astrological Conference in Seattle, Washington, May 2009.
- Hellenistic Astrology Retreat in Austin, Texas, February 27–March 1, 2009.
- 25th History of Astrology Conference, London, UK, October 25–26, 2008.
- The Astrological Lodge of London, October 27, 2008.
- The Blast Astrology Conference in Sedona, Arizona, September 16–21, 2008.
- Denver chapter of the NCGR, September 5, 2008.
- United Astrology Conference in Denver, Colorado, May 15–20, 2008.
- First meeting of the Denver Astrology Group in Denver, Colorado, May 4, 2008.
- Project Hindsight Conclave in Cumberland, Maryland, July 27–August 2, 2007.
- Northwest Astrology Conference in Seattle, Washington, May 25–28, 2007.
- The Blast Astrology Conference in Sedona, Arizona, March 29–April 2, 2007.
- NCGR national conference, Baltimore, Maryland, March 8–12, 2007.
- Rocky Mountain Astrologers in Boulder, Colorado, November, 2006.
- Project Hindsight PHASE Conclave in Cumberland, Maryland, August 14–20, 2006.
- Northwest Astrology Conference in Seattle, Washington – May 26-29, 2006.